his dish is the ultimate culmination of two great things we know and love, "Taco Tuesday" and "Breakfast for Dinner". I was inspired by a trip I took a few years ago to the breakfast taco capital of the world, Austin, Texas. The trip was for a bachelorette party and what happened in Austin, stays in Austin - well except for these tacos. Not only are they well-balanced, they're packed with flavor which means it's the perfect way to hide veggies. I put my own spicy spin on it, but because tacos are so versatile, you can spin it however you want! The sweet potatoes offset the spiciness and the acidity from the lime and pico de gallo just brings it all together for a dance in your mouth.
8 Corn Tortillas
4 Sausages links (Chicken or Pork)
Big handfuls of Spinach, Arugula, or any dark leafy greens you prefer!
1 Sweet Potato
Pico de Gallo (store-bought or make your own)
Large bowl to heat sweet potatoes
One large skillet or pan
- Start by peeling and chopping 1 large sweet potatoes, place the ½” pieces into a bowl along with a pinch of kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, and a tablespoon of vegetable oil then mix to combine.
- Cover with a plate and microwave for 5-6 minutes tossing once halfway through. TBH, I don't have a microwave so I boil the potatoes, but this takes a lot longer. Either one will work fine.
- Cook sausage in a pan over medium-high heat and cook thoroughly.
- Once the sausage is done, take it out of the pan and throw in the sweet potatoes. Depending on what kind of sausage you used, there might be a little fat rendered in the pan. If you opted to boil the potatoes, throw a little olive oil in the pan before you add the potatoes. This way, they can get a little crispy.
- Add your eggs and scramble with the party. Here, you will decide whether you want to cook the spinach in with your eggs or add it fresh to the taco. Take a minute and think it over, but remember, there is no wrong way.
- Warm-up your tortillas either in the pan or over the burner.
- Assemble your taco and be carful not to overfill.
Bite and enjoy!
Bonus!! Make it even healthier options:
- use pasteurized eggs
- pair it up with a side salad