n our household, we have a deep appreciation for meats lathered in dry rub, cooked low and slow so that it just melts in your mouth. Dry rubs are great meat flavoring options because they don’t pack the high sugar content that barbeque sauces do.
The problem with many “low and slow” recipes these days is that they require a smoker to get that true barbeque flavor. Also, the “smoking” method isn’t necessarily a way the Healthy LAZY Chef wants to cook. Can we just find something like Ron Popeil’s Ronco Showtime Rotisserie & BBQ - “Set It And Forget It!”
A few recipes ago from the Healthy Lazy Chef (HLC), we brought you a St. Patrick’s Day slow-cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage. As my husband, TJ, was preparing the dish, he said, “this corned beef is really just a big brisket…”
If we can cook a corned beef brisket in the slow cooker, why can’t we just cook a barbeque brisket in there, too?! Ron Popeil would be proud.Cue trip to Costco. Husband comes back with a 19-lb piece of meat. We pull out TWO slow cookers to cook simultaneously. We. Are. Ready. To. Rock.
*Quantities will vary depending upon size of brisket, slow cooker, and taste preference.
- If you’ve got a LARGE chunk of meat, cut into pieces that will roughly fit into your slow cooker (measure if needed). Pro Tip: Vacuum seal extra meat and store in the freezer, keeping the piece(s) you want to cook out.
- Cover the surface of the brisket with a light layer of mustard.
- Then combine all dry rub ingredients (sugar, chili, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper) into a bowl.
- Lather surface of the mustard-covered brisket with rub and set aside.
- Pour a thin layer of water into the slow cooker, just covering the bottom.
- Place the brisket inside the cooker and turn on low.
- Cook brisket from 9-11 hours (depending upon size), or until internal temperature reaches 195 degrees - meat thermometer should easily slide in, instead of having any resistance, because then you know all of the fat has broken down ;)
- Let sit for 10-15 min.
- Slice against the grain in ½ inch slices and ENJOY!